8 Unbelievable Facts about Jaisalmer
1. Jaisalmer, the Golden City, is all about forts, cultural people, sand-coloured structures and endless desert.
2. Geologists have discovered fossils in parts of Rajasthan including Jaisalmer which indicate that the entire area was once submerged under the sea.
3. Once upon a time, Thar desert was a fertile plain fed by ancient river Saraswati. The mystery of the extinct Saraswati river in one of the unsolved ones.
4. As per vedic scriptures, river Saraswati once flowed through Jaisalmer and either gradually dried up or moved underground about 10,000 years ago.
5. Some say the river disappeared following a massive earthquake. Some say it disappeared due to the continuous rising of the continental plates.
6. Some say it still flows underground and had gone into hiding to avoid unwanted attention of her creator Brahma who was awed by its beauty.
7. Some say Goddess Saraswati was unable to carry the holy flame and walk on the earth, so she moved underground. Some say it simply dried up.
8. The Jaisalmer Fort is the world’s largest desert living fort. Also, it is the second oldest fort in Rajasthan. A major landmark, it has thousands of people living within the premises.
For more amazing facts, visit-